"Working together to end homelessness"

Emmaus is an international charity with a mandate to fight poverty and injustice in all its forms.


Friday 13 November 2015

Sorry! But I have to use the "I" word this week.

Yes I know, but it has to be done, immigration!

I find the subject of immigration one of the most perplexing and confusing moral questions. Its a subject that just refuses to go away and history suggest it never will.

For me immigration is such a huge issue with so many facets to consider. As with most of life its never black and white, but the whole spectrum of gray.

I, as with Emmaus Sheffield and the whole Emmaus movement are supportive of the rights of people to migrate. There are so many types of migration include asylum seeking, economic and social. What attracts people to the UK may be different to what attracts Brits abroad, but we do need to remember the amount of ex pats living in other countries.

I also like to think that I care about other human beings welfare and hate to see others suffer, growing up in east London I have always known a multi cultural Britain.

Here it comes. But. Here is the question, where do we draw lines and who should be drawing those lines? Is it right to blame people for trying to get a better life or support their families? If the country is bursting under the strain of immigration and the deficit is it not down to our government to put measures in place to help control the situation? If that is the case, then should it not be politicians that are demonised instead of migrants?

I have one final thought, Calais, regularly in the news, heartbreaking pictures and stories. But a question that comes to mind is, if we believe all the migrants in Calais are asylum seekers, how many safe countries have they traveled through to get to there? In fact is France not a safe country? Is not the point of asylum to seek refuge and safety? More than one question I know. And finally if their not asylum seekers - even if they are - are they not making a choice to be at the camp.

1 comment:

  1. I would be happy to work, love to work full time, however due to my mental/medical conditions I cannot and instead can guarantee to work voluntarily 1 day per week for a charity.

    I am on the fence though for paid jobs - they are there but too many it seems for everyone, some seasonal (coast/winter shops+sales).

    On the other side others too comfy on JSA ect.

    Third side - while we have such a mass group in Calais, Youth Migration allows from certain countries to waltz in if they have enough money (Tier 5).

    Yes Calais is a lot of news, yes at home is a lot of news, we are not told of the final hidden number. https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

    I hope this does not upset anyone.

    ReplyDelete