"Working together to end homelessness"

Emmaus is an international charity with a mandate to fight poverty and injustice in all its forms.


Thursday 15 October 2015

Homeless man prosecuted for sleeping rough

I read this article yesterday http://streetskitchen.co.uk/?p=3393

I dont really know where to start this post. This story is wrong on so many levels!

Do we really live in a country where a hospital prosecutes someone for sleeping rough in their grounds - because that person finds it a less frightening environment to sleep rough in.-

I'm finding this post hard to write as it makes me feel sick thinking of a society where those among its most vulnerable whilst seeking sanctuary not causing anybody a problem nor committing a crime other than the one of homelessness finds themselves in court.

I would like to think that its not because I work at Emmaus Sheffield - a homeless charity - that I have this attitude, but because I have some humanity left. Clearly the court, at least had a similar attitude, but how does our legal system - if not our moral one - allow this case to end up in court in the first place.

I wrote a post a while ago around the issue of criminalising homelessness so its not an issue that I am unaware of. I think its because this story involves a hospital that makes it stand out to me. I'm sure it wasn't doctors and nurses who brought the prosecution. But, its still a hospital, and just screams at me.

The way in which we treat homeless people - as individuals and as a society - shouts to our attitude to humanity, the human race. I think its a statement in itself that the charities that do  best financially through public giving are those working with animals.


No comments:

Post a Comment