"Working together to end homelessness"

Emmaus is an international charity with a mandate to fight poverty and injustice in all its forms.


Friday 23 October 2015

ME, ME, ME

There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on the earth and more atoms in a single grain of sand than stars in the universe.




I don't know about you but my brain struggles to comprehend that statement. I'm quite interested in quantum physics and all the bigness and smallness of the universe and the really weird stuff that happens at the very small end of the scale.

But I think the strangest and hardest thing to grasp is how important I think I am.

The more I learn the more I realise just how small I am, so why do I think I'm a giant in a land of giants? And I really do, my little corner of this little world is the centre of the universe to me and anything or anyone that affects my comfort levels must be disrupting the universal balance. The universe was designed for me and solely for my benefit.

The woman walking down the street using her mobile phone and was in my way, the driver who didn't indicate in time, the customer who couldn't decide what item they wanted to buy, the child crying on the tram while I'm trying to read the paper and my colleague at work who doesn't quite get the task they have to do. None of them understand this is my universe and they are just guests in it.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times I point this out to them they just don't get it. How can they be so selfish, just no consideration. I wonder if there are people in their universes causing the same problems for them, I doubt it, everyone else seems to have a perfect life, Somehow their universes aren't full of chaos and disorder, life's just not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment