"Working together to end homelessness"

Emmaus is an international charity with a mandate to fight poverty and injustice in all its forms.


Friday 12 February 2016

"Don't Put a face to the homeless"

Watched a great documentary on homelessness last night. It was the most balanced and unbiased program I think that I've ever seen on the subject.

It was a BBC3 program called Hidding Homeless and was presented by Professor Green. Showing homelessness in Manchester and London, in all its forms.

For any of us working in this field it didn't show anything that we don't already know but what it did was presented the subject, - consciously - but in a way that I would have liked to present it to the general public. Coming to the same conclusions that I and other professionals have come to.

It didn't just focus on the street homeless but looked at people in different homeless situations up and down the country and showed the many faces of homelessness. It clearly showed that there really is no typical homeless person and how we so often just have this one image in our heads of what it means to be homeless.

For me this was a fantastic piece of reporting done in a very respectful and in depth way, I cant encourage you all enough to watch this show on BBC catch up tv.

1 comment:

  1. I have been almost to the stage of living on the streets. I have been saved by friends and family with sofa surfing. I now volunteer with Emmaus and while I don't need them I respect what they do.

    ReplyDelete